Sunday, September 5, 2010

baby boy

Wilder Michael
born September 2, 2010 at 4:14 am
7 lbs 2 ounces, and 21 inches long.



i am pretty much hopelessly in love.

labor was wonderful, albeit incredibly long and boring. and nothing like any of my other labors. my induction plan for the previous weekend hadn't worked at all. and monday i was barely dilated or anything. it would be putting it mild to say how discouraged and unpleasant i was. sam was burning through his limited vacation time and there was no baby.
sam worked a little on tuesday and a little on wednesday. about 10:30 wednesday morning i thought my water broke. with campbell it was unmistakable, this time i really couldn't tell. after about 2 hours i was fairly convinced, but didn't want to sound any alarms. luckily, my team at maternity health center was all working (i've had my babies on the weekends and never been able to go in and "be checked" by my usual gals) so i made an appointment for 1:45, and went in a little early.
where, to all of our glee (literally, we all cheered) it was confirmed- my water had broke!
but, the baby was really high. so as a precaution, i was sent immediately to the hospital (which was difficult seeing that i had the only car which had all of our carseats) to have the baby be monitored. seeing that my labors would go fast, and my water had broke, there was a fear that the cord could potentially come out before baby- and that is not good.
i was checked in roughly after 2, and thus began the waiting. i wasn't alone for long, sam and serena arrived at the same time, and our good friend gaia, and then jess (after driving WAY WAY WAY to fast) made it to the hospital.
and nothing happened. we walked, and walked and walked. watched how i met your mother. ate fish tacos, walked some more. anna (my doula) came up and we tried some positions. but nothing happened. after 10 hours of being at the hospital i hadn't progressed at all.
this was so stinking crazy. and i was not happy at all. i wasn't in pain, don't think that i had 10 hours of wretched labor. i had 10 hours of nothing. contractions that didn't register on my pain scale. even contractions that would come every 5 minutes apart, did nothing. the baby was still to high.
and i was concerned. this was so different. and with my water having broke i felt horrible pressure. that if the baby didn't come i would have to start undergoing medical intervention.
not what i wanted at all.
at midnight we sent everyone home. i didn't want to. but i didn't want everyone waiting around for nothing. i mean, 10 hours and no change? jessica was smart, and stayed in the waiting room (she missed henry's birth and didn't want to miss this one) and sam and i tried to get some sleep (him curled up in a chair, and me lying on my side trying to get the baby to change position).
and lying on my side helped. i couldn't sleep at all, i was obsessed with watching the heart rate monitor making sure our baby was staying healthy. i kept changing sides, and around 2 am, i realized i couldn't sleep because my contractions were starting to bother me.
at 2:30 i woke up sam because my contractions were hurting. at 3 i got checked, and was told (by the worst nurse in the world) that i was only at a 5. 20 minutes later i sent sam for another nurse. i was at a 7 and was rapidly moving to transition.
this nurse made everything start to happen, she got all the labor gear and moved like lightning. the other nurse, barely moved, acting as if this was a leisurely event- despite my warnings of how fast this could go.
we called anna at about 3:15 ish? maybe 3:30. sam told me jess was waiting outside. i was lucky this time, usually during transition i have contraction upon contraction. this time i got little breaks where i was able to talk.
basically from 3:30-4:00 ish it all moved really fast. i was checked a few more times (by horrid nurse) and kept changing positions to try and get comfortable. literally, everyone entered the room and i moved up into a more "push-able" position and sam and anna tried to keep me from pushing. but the horrid nurse she was casually walking by and was like, "oh yes, there's the head".
well that's all the "go ahead and push" i needed to hear. with my next contraction, i pushed, out came babies head, in walked doctor, and i pushed more, and out came baby.
baby boy.
4:14 am. 2 hours of "labor" 10 hours of boredom. and he's here. born on my due date.
he's perfect, tiny, and making us all very happy.
God has been very good to all of us.

7 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! I too am pregnant with my 4th child due Dec. 6th. As I was reading your labor and delivery story it made me get excited about my own coming soon. I can't wait to meet this little one inside me. It will make 4 boys for me (ages 7, 5 & 2) :-D Your children are precious and I love reading your blogs. I also stay at home and it's nice to see other struggle with the same things I do. God bless your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH HOW PRECIOUS! CONGRATS TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY FOR YOUR NEW BEAUTFIUL BLESSING! PRAISE GOD FOR HIS BLESSINGS! ENJOY!
    :)
    NICOLE

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad he's here & you're both happy & healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too fast? Maybe. But I MADE it. Phew! I was soo glad to be there! It was amazing. And Wilder is amazing. And speaking of amazing, if you ever get the chance to witness a birth like Mary's, do it! You'll walk away thinking, "I can do thaaaat...." Thank you, Mary, for letting me be there! Loves! Loves! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im in tears as usual with you blog....I can not tel you how happy I am for you! I can not wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love your story! what an interesting labor. i am always amazed at how different every one really is. he is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol - I love it! A "boring" labor. :) He's beautiful. Good job, Mary!

    ReplyDelete