Friday, January 9, 2009

plastic bag solution

Yesterday our new washer and dryer arrived! Whoo Hoo! There will be a post about that later.  It is the midnight hour, I am exhausted... but still awake.  Ok, not really exhausted.  I think I would be asleep, but instead I wanted to quickly blog about my kids and then blog about what I made tonight!
It ties in with the washer and dryer- because during the back room renovation, I came across
 way too many plastic bags.  Now we do use reusable bags for our groceries (in the spirit of being good stewards of the Earth God has given us) but I do need some plastic bags for bathroom garbage, diapers.. etc.
This is what I had sitting around in our backroom:
Not exactly a pretty sight to see.
So I did some Googling, and I found this wonderful tutorial.
So I attacked my fabric stash... all the while, wondering why I am so stinkin stingy when it comes to using fabric.  I think I literally would have sewn together teeny tiny scraps just to save a bigger piece for a project to be thought of who knows when.
I made this:
and this is what it looks like fully stuffed, and hanging in our back room:
I am quite pleased with myself.  This was so super easy.  And I had everything I needed, and it didn't take long at all.  The elastic at the bottom holds the bags in until you reach in and pull them out one at a time.
Ok, i am tired.  
When the backroom is finished, I will post some lovely before and after pictures- because I am already pretty happy with the way things are shaping up back there.
Especially because my dry rack fits back there- fully up, with clothes on it! No more leaving it up for all hours in the kitchen and moving it from side to side as I navigate around the kitchen.
To bed I go.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful! And you know I'm the same way about scraps. I'd like to think I'm frugal.

    You can fit your dry rack in your back room now? That's awesome!!!! Can you come clean out my laundry room so that my dry rack fits? ;)

    ReplyDelete